How to prepare a wood surface to be finished with OSMO Polyx Original Hardwax Oil
Having the floor sanded correctly is essential. For best results, we recommend using a professional floorsander. The final finish depends upon the quality of the sanding.
Application of OSMO Polyx Oil to a timber floor
Polyx oil is available in a matt or satin finish. Application for both is identical. The finish is clear. Full preparation and application instructions are on the cans label.
Polyx Oil is very easy to apply. The oil is designed to be used straight from the can. No thinning is required. The recommended applicator is a good quality bristle brush or a microfiber floor roller.
- Ensure preparation has been carried out and the floor is dry and clean of sawdust.
- Apply the first coat very thinly and evenly along the timbers grain. Allow the oil to dry 10-12 hours (or overnight), ensuring good ventillation.
- Once the first coat is dry to the touch, apply a second coat in a similar manner. It is not necessary to sand between coats.
- Further coats of oil are not generally necessary. The exception would be very soft timbers such as cedar, or cork.
- If brush marks are visible in the finish, and you wish to remove them, the timber can be buffed 2-3 days after the second coat has dried. Use a floor polishing machine with a white pad and OSMOs Liquid Wax Cleaner.
- Treat the floor with respect for the first few weeks as the finish continues to harden for up to 14 days. Avoid dragging furniture over the surface rather lift and place items. The use of felt or nylon glides on contact points is recommended.
Repairing a damaged floor finished with OSMO Polyx Oil
It is possible to spot repair damaged areas of your timber floor, by re-applying a thin coat of Polyx Oil after the effected area has been sanded.
Maintaining surfaces finished with OSMO Polyx Oil
The key to getting the best from your OSMO finished floor over its lifetime, is to use the correct maintenance products which will care for, and protect the timber. Caring for the floor should include:-
- Regular sweeping with a soft broom to remove dust and dirt.
- Regular damp mopping the floor using Wash and Care.
- Occasional maintenance and reconditioning of high traffic areas using the Liquid Wax Cleaner
- Repair of damaged surfaces using a thin coat of Polyx Oil.